Sunday, February 26, 2012

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
Robert Louis Stevenson
I found this quote very interesting and applicable to my current situation. As I start to finish up my time in college, I have been spending a lot of time thinking about my future. I sometimes feel that I not moving as fast as I should be. My life hasn't taken me to where I thought I would be by now. In a year or so I will be graduating and will looking for a full-time job and I still don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life. But I forget that life is not instantaneous or what we expect it to be. Just because I haven't met all my goals, doesn't mean that I'm unsuccessful.  
Too often we are impatient and can't wait to watch our dreams become a reality. I find myself sometimes longing for the day when I can have the stable and established career I want  This preoccupation with the future can distract you from what's happening in the present moment. Maybe I need to spend more time enjoying the ride instead of  worrying about the destination.
While its important to make plans for the future and be ambitious, I feel that I need to take a cue from Robert Louis Stevenson and take it one step at a time. Before I can get what I want, I need to allow myself time to grow. Putting pressure on myself will not help me get what I want. I am planting my seeds now and they need time and space to thrive.
If there is anyone out there who feels the same as me, I hope you consider giving yourself a break. Even though you may not have the ideal job or you have no clue as to what you want to do with the rest of your life, I hope you can allow yourself to enjoy the journey and not agnoize over what you should do or what will come in the future. This also reminds me of the famous quote that I think we should take to heart.
“Life is a journey, not a destination.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson


No comments:

Post a Comment